Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Travel

I love travel.  I will go anywhere.  There is always something new to learn, see, do.  No matter where you go.  I started my travels in 2009, I think, on the advise of my therapist.  I was stuck in a rut, of my own making, and she thought it would be a good idea for me to get out and broaden my horizons.  She was dead on .  My mom is my travel buddy and we started with Lake Tahoe, in the fall of 2009.    It was an absolute disaster, but we'll save that for another day.

I found a Time Life book shortly after, called "100 Places to see in Your Lifetime".  There are one hundred locations, all in the States, that the editors of Time thought everyone should see.  So that is my goal.  To see all one hundred.  I'm up to about forty five now, I think.  My book is currently at the book binders getting some much needed repairs.  We try to take maybe two or three trips a year, keeping my list in mind.  The list is so interesting, as the places are extremely varied.   There are some, like the Grand Canyon and the Tetons, where it is clear why it made the list.  Then there are others-Wrigley Field-where I can't really figure out why I'm there.  Clearly the editors of Life thought it was awesome, but I have a hard time seeing it.

I've been from the Maine Coast to Big Sur, CA.  San Juan Islands in WA to Sanibel Island, FL.  Washington DC, Oregon, Rhode Island.  I've been all over and I love it.

One of my most prized possessions is my travel journal.  If my house were to catch fire, I'd grab the boys and my travel journal.  I take it on every trip.  I write down where I went, where we ate, interesting facts about that particular location, souvenirs I bought.  I try to get a post card of every location for my journal.  I've put in receipts, drink coasters, bumper stickers, coins, ticket stubs.  It is so fun to sit down and read through it.  I remember things that I had forgotten. I'm so grateful I had it written down or I would have never remembered.  I would highly encourage anyone who travels to get a journal.  To me, it's priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment