Monday, April 20, 2015

Guns & Ammo

Look at that concentration.  Don't look at the safety glasses on top of  my head.  Whoops.

Over the weekend, I did something I thought I would never ever not ever do.  I took a gun class.  It was actually a Concealed Carry class, and Mammy and Pappy went with me. It was all day Saturday and Sunday, for a total of sixteen hours.  Our Chief and Asst Chief own a firearms training and consulting business and they teach the classes.  They may not know much about anything else, but they know guns. 

I'm not a gun person, per se. I have nothing against them, I've just never been around them.  No one in my family hunts or collects guns.  I've picked up a lot of knowledge at the police department, but the officers never have their guns out, so it's not like I see or handle them all the time.  I've always thought target or clay pigeon shooting looked fun.  Would I ever shoot another person?  Maybe.  I don't know.  Hopefully, I will never have the occasion to find out. 

The first day of class was pretty dry, if you're already familiar with guns.  I am not, so I thought it was interesting.  I know you squeeze the trigger to make it go boom and I know which end the bullet comes out, but that's about it.  The first day was all about gun components, mechanism and safety safety safety.  All about safety. 

The second day was way funner.  Different scenarios with CCTV and news clips.  WAs it a good shoot or a bad shoot?  We watched clips of actual civilian shootings (no one's head exploded or anything.  It wasn't gross) and then we went to the range.  Each person shot about 70 rounds or so and then we had our State test.  Ten rounds each from five, seven and ten yards.  We had to get twenty one out of thirty.  No problem.

There were two hunters and one military guy there and it was clear that this was not the first time they'd picked up a gun.  Their targets looked like they threw an apple through it.  Just completely blew a hole in the center.  The rest of us passed, although, not as well.  It was fun, and certainly something I'd never done before.  I'd highly recommend a class for anyone that's afraid of guns.  They're a lot less scary at the end. 
Instructor John

First time she's ever held a gun

Mammy getting a lesson from Instructor Guye

Dad hasn't handled a gun since Vietnam
This is military guy's target.  Notice the hole in the center.

This was my target.  Not too awful bad for a noob.

4 comments:

  1. This looks like something I would like to do. I have always been afraid of guns .. ever since when I was about 5 years old and I picked up my dad's police pistol..pointed it at my brother and said..Bang..Bang! Oh my, the chewing out I received from my dad!!!! Whew! I will NEVER forget it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!! Awesome!! You look great shooting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say your target cluster was more than enough to get the job done, Mary Margaret. I'll never mess with you again.

    ReplyDelete