Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Piano

My uncle was recently cleaning out an Oddfellows Lodge and they had a piano they were giving away.  I played for several years when I was young, so he gave it to me.  It's really nice.  Much nicer than I was anticipating.

I was actually pretty good, but it's been so long that I've forgotten everything I'd learned.  I hope it comes back fairly easily.  I have two books, one on techniques and another with classical pieces for adult beginners.  I like them both.  They're for adults, not children.  There are pieces by Bach, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Handel amongst others.  They're just dumbed down versions with ninety percent of the notes removed.  Still, I'd rather relearn with "Turca Alla Rondo" rather than "Mr Turtle Goes Slow."  I'm not six anymore. 

My Grandma's favorite song is "Goodbye World Goodbye".  It's sort of a ragtimey gospel song.  My piano teacher played it once at a recital and I was just awestruck.  It was the most impressive thing I'd ever seen.  I'm going to try to learn it and play it for my Grandma, but she's ninety two, for crying out loud.  Time's a factor. 

When I was little, my mom used to make me play for the old people at the nursing homes, usually around Christmastime.  Character building, she said.  Traumatizing, I say.  I hated every minute of it.  They'd all hover around me and pet my head.  Now that I'm older, I think I can handle it better.  As long as they don't pet my head.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. The nursing home people are intrigued by young people, pretty hair, stylish clothes. It's new to them. They like to look and touch. Enjoy it and consider it a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We definitely are a stylish family.

    ReplyDelete