Monday, June 22, 2015

Hotels

I love travel shows.  Rick Steves is my all time favorite, but I'll watch any of them.  I like Rick Steves because he speaks my language.  He's just a regular guy who does regular guy stuff.  His shows and travel guides focus on European travel on a budget.  My buddy Rick knows that very few people have limitless resources.  Most people, present company included, are flat ass broke and have to travel on a budget.  Rickie gets that. 

I was watching Rudy Maxa the other day.  I don't particularly care for him, what with his arrogance and stupid little sweater knotted about his neck.  I watch it for the scenery, which sounds an awful lot like "I only look at Playboy for the articles."  Well, this episode he was in Italy, around Milan and Lake Como.  (I HAVE to go there some day)  Whilst in Lake Como, he stayed at the Villa d'Este.  It comes highly recommended by Rudy who just couldn't say enough about it.  No kidding.  It's a huge castle-fortress-estate right on the shores of Lake Como.  Topiaries, water fountains, mountain views, shiny marble everywhere.  Yeah, it's awesome.  I went on their website to "book a room."  It took me about six or seven tries to even find a room that was available, but I finally found one.   Their crappiest room, which is probably next to the elevator and across from the ice machine, starts at $800 a night.  It goes up to about $3000.  Kiss my ass, $800 a night.

I know of no one that can afford that.  It's almost insulting, in a way.  I watched that whole program, staring slacked jawed and starry eyed at things that I will never see in person.  Apparently there is Rudy Maxa's Italy and then there is my Italy and they are not the same.

To be fair, he was in Milan and I assume there are not a lot of budget accommodation options.  Everyone who is in  Milan can afford to be there, which is why I've never been.  And will probably never be.                                 

                                                      Villa d'Este--Highly recommended
 
 
 
 
 
 
My usual accomodations

3 comments:

  1. Oh Mary Margaret. I've stayed in some of your accommodations. While most of them look like the bottom photo, some are worse. Do we need to talk about the "Thunderbird"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the Motel 6 looks like the Trump Plaza compared to some of the places I've heard about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where can I find tricky ricky? He seems like my people.

    ReplyDelete